Thursday 20 January 2011

Waxwings and Redpolls

Sara and I went for walk on Monday morning and half way round I noticed a large group of perching birds in the tops of two small ash trees. Out came the bins and sure enough this was a large flock of waxwings. I counted 40 before they flew off northwards in groups of four and five or so making that unmistakable trilling sound.  I've heard waxwings fly over a couple of times but this was the first time I'd actually managed to get a good close look through binoculars - absolutely fantastic!

Today has been very busy on the feeders with the siskins coming regularly now - whilst watching through the binoculars I noticed something that looked like a siskin but wasn't.  It had a faintly pink cap which identified it as a redpoll.  Shortly afterwards it was joined by 5 other individuals two of which were flushed with bright pinky-red chests.  These guys are obviously hanging around with the locals siskins so I hope to see them again before the winter is out.

Compared to last winter I've yet to see bullfinches, wagtails, blackcaps or nuthatches in the garden.  Plenty of time yet though.

No comments:

Post a Comment